LI Man Alleges Home Construction Being Blocked Due to His Support of Trump  - The Jewish Voice
60.9 F
New York
Wednesday, September 28, 2022

LI Man Alleges Home Construction Being Blocked Due to His Support of Trump 

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

-Advertisement-

Must read

LI Man Alleges Home Construction Being Blocked Due to His Support of Trump 

 

By:  Serach Nissim 

 

A Long Island resident has filed a lawsuit alleging his home construction project is being blocked because he’s a “loud” Donald Trump supporter.

As reported by the NY Post, Vincent Franco says the construction on his Amityville home has turned into a prolonged nightmare, with him and his wife living a small corner of their old home and the new construction being left open to the elements. The 62-year-old and his wife embarked on a costly and massive home expansion. Their project, however, was halted midway by residents and politicians.  Construction remains in limbo “because they did not want an individual who supported Trump to build such a large house in the neighborhood, or be in the neighborhood at all,” says the lawsuit.  The new lawsuit filed in Brooklyn federal court, is suing for $1 million in damages.

“All the squirrels and raccoons are getting in,” Franco, 62, told The Post, complaining that work has to be left open. “My wife went to grab something from the attic and a raccoon jumped out and almost bit her.” A construction contractor, Franco started the renovations in January 2020, but has faced more than his fair share of repeated obstacles, the suit says.  Franco says residents allegedly filed bogus complaints that the oversized expansion implied that he was going to use it for commercial storage or for a three-family home.

The complaints were actually a “veiled attempt to discriminate against a Trump supporter who flew Trump flags from his car, in front of the single-family construction dwelling,” the lawsuit alleges.  Franco met several times with the town to “dispel false allegations that a larger, beautiful home that would improve the neighborhood was being built for nefarious purposes,” as per the suit.  His permits were finally approved in August 2021 and he started construction, including raising the roof by over three feet.

But the disruptions and complaints continued, he alleges.  Franco spent $100,000 to finish the extra-tall roof, after getting an ok from then building inspector. Extensive electrical and plumbing work was done on the second floor and in the attic, to accommodate the height, as per the court papers. Then, however, the building inspector was fired and his replacement disregarded his predecessor’s promise to make an exception regarding the building’s height.  In March 2022, the roof height was used as an excuse for “shutting the entire construction down, sending [Franco] back to planning,” the lawsuit alleges.  The new inspector, “made it extremely clear that this was due to personal biases on behalf of the trustees, mayor, personally, and professionally,” the suit claims.

Franco claims that everything has been left open, with the plywood and rafters left exposed, adding that he can’t even put plastic or siding on the structure.  He told the Post that rain and animals are getting into his home. He alleges that his project is still awaiting approval though the town “regularly approves variances.”  Franco told the Post, he agreed to spend $40,000 to lower the roof height but won’t be able to comply with the code height of 30 feet without completely redoing the entire project.

“For no reasonable purpose whatsoever, except for annoyance and discrimination, did defendants deny [Franco] the variance which in at least four cases had been approved,” the court papers charge.

The town lawyer didn’t immediately return the Post’s request for comment.

 

By:  Serach Nissim 

 

A Long Island resident has filed a lawsuit alleging his home construction project is being blocked because he’s a “loud” Donald Trump supporter.

As reported by the NY Post, Vincent Franco says the construction on his Amityville home has turned into a prolonged nightmare, with him and his wife living a small corner of their old home and the new construction being left open to the elements. The 62-year-old and his wife embarked on a costly and massive home expansion. Their project, however, was halted midway by residents and politicians.  Construction remains in limbo “because they did not want an individual who supported Trump to build such a large house in the neighborhood, or be in the neighborhood at all,” says the lawsuit.  The new lawsuit filed in Brooklyn federal court, is suing for $1 million in damages.

“All the squirrels and raccoons are getting in,” Franco, 62, told The Post, complaining that work has to be left open. “My wife went to grab something from the attic and a raccoon jumped out and almost bit her.” A construction contractor, Franco started the renovations in January 2020, but has faced more than his fair share of repeated obstacles, the suit says.  Franco says residents allegedly filed bogus complaints that the oversized expansion implied that he was going to use it for commercial storage or for a three-family home.

The complaints were actually a “veiled attempt to discriminate against a Trump supporter who flew Trump flags from his car, in front of the single-family construction dwelling,” the lawsuit alleges.  Franco met several times with the town to “dispel false allegations that a larger, beautiful home that would improve the neighborhood was being built for nefarious purposes,” as per the suit.  His permits were finally approved in August 2021 and he started construction, including raising the roof by over three feet.

But the disruptions and complaints continued, he alleges.  Franco spent $100,000 to finish the extra-tall roof, after getting an ok from then building inspector. Extensive electrical and plumbing work was done on the second floor and in the attic, to accommodate the height, as per the court papers. Then, however, the building inspector was fired and his replacement disregarded his predecessor’s promise to make an exception regarding the building’s height.  In March 2022, the roof height was used as an excuse for “shutting the entire construction down, sending [Franco] back to planning,” the lawsuit alleges.  The new inspector, “made it extremely clear that this was due to personal biases on behalf of the trustees, mayor, personally, and professionally,” the suit claims.

Franco claims that everything has been left open, with the plywood and rafters left exposed, adding that he can’t even put plastic or siding on the structure.  He told the Post that rain and animals are getting into his home. He alleges that his project is still awaiting approval though the town “regularly approves variances.”  Franco told the Post, he agreed to spend $40,000 to lower the roof height but won’t be able to comply with the code height of 30 feet without completely redoing the entire project.

“For no reasonable purpose whatsoever, except for annoyance and discrimination, did defendants deny [Franco] the variance which in at least four cases had been approved,” the court papers charge.

The town lawyer didn’t immediately return the Post’s request for comment.

balance of natureDonate

Latest article

- Advertisement -
EnglishHebrew
Skip to content