Top Israel & US Officials Meet Ahead of Possible Strike on Iran

0
436
Senior Israeli and US defense officials met on Monday following an Iranian attack on an Israeli-owned ship last week in the Gulf of Oman and ahead of a possible reprisal attack on Iran. Photo by Kobi Richter/TPS on 15 January, 2019

By: Aryeh Savir

Senior Israeli and US defense officials met on Monday following an Iranian attack on an Israeli-owned ship last week in the Gulf of Oman and ahead of a possible reprisal attack on Iran.

An Iranian suicide drone is believed to have hit the oil tanker Mercer Street on Thursday night, a ship operated by Zodiac Maritime, a company owned by Israeli tycoon Eyal Ofer, killing a British and Romanian national.

IDF Chief of the General Staff LTG Aviv Kochavi spoke on Monday with CENTCOM commander General Frank McKenzie. The two discussed “recent regional events and cooperation between both countries,” the IDF stated.

CENTCOM stated that the two generals “shared their perspectives on the region’s dynamic security environment, and opportunities for future cooperation.”

The US Central Command (CENTCOM) is responsible for the Middle East, including Iran.

Kochavi spoke on Sunday with his British counterpart, Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Sir Nick Carter and discussed “recent events in the region and common challenges faced by both countries.”

US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan met on Monday in Washington with Israeli National Security Advisor Dr. Eyal Hulata.

They discussed “working together to strengthen all aspects of the US-Israel partnership” and the upcoming visit to Washington by Prime Minister Bennett, who is expected to visit the White House in the coming weeks.

The White House stated that they discussed “the strategic challenges in the region, including the threat posed by Iran, and agreed to consult closely on these issues.”

They also exchanged views about “the opportunities in the region, including advancing the normalization of relations between Israel and countries in the Arab and Muslim world.”

Israel, the US, the United Kingdom, and Romania have all blamed Iran for the attack on the ship.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken told reporters on Monday that the US is “in very close contact, in coordination, with the United Kingdom, Israel, Romania and other countries. And there will be a collective response” to Iran’s attack.

Israeli Minister of Defense Benny Gantz told the Knesset plenum on Monday that hundreds of Iranian UAVs are spread across the Middle East and Israel will respond to the attack “at the time and place and in the ways” that benefit the security of Israel.

Gantz further warned that “Iran under the murderous ‘Raisi,’ who will take office this week, will be more dangerous to the world than it has been so far, more destructive to the region than it has been so far, and will strive to become an existential threat to Israel. We will work to remove any such threat.”

(TPS)