Edited by: TJV News
‘Tis the season for planning your next holiday escape with family, friends, or your special someone. The Pocono Mountains offer great holiday packages and special deals this time of year. Whether planning a day trip or an overnight getaway – our resorts, restaurants and downtowns are decking the halls all winter long.
Winter has come ahead of schedule in the Pocono Mountains and some of the region’s ski resorts have started opening earlier than ever before! With 185 trails, the Poconos offer terrain for beginners and experts. The Poconos six ski areas all cater to families with kid-specific ski schools that make learning to ski or snowboard enjoyable. Teens who can’t get enough of rails and jumps will find plenty of terrain parks. No skis or snowboard? No problem! The resorts rental shops have you covered. All six resorts also have snowtubing hills that welcome young and old. Everyone’s fingers get cold at some point, and in the Poconos there’s still plenty to do once you leave the slopes.
Blue Mountain Resort
– Blue Mountain Resort has 40 ski trails, five terrain parks, 16 lifts and up to 34 snow tubing lanes. The mountain boasts the state’s highest vertical drop, 1,082 feet, for a thrilling downhill experience. Blue Mountain maintains Slopeside Pub & Grill, a full-service scenic mountaintop restaurant.
– Camelback features 39 trails, 16 lifts and 100% snowmaking with the recent purchase of 377 new snow guns. The mountain boasts 15 acres of beginner terrain and award-winning instructional programs. Last season brought a brand-new terrain park and two restaurants with ski-in/out access. Camelback is also home to the biggest snow tubing park in the USA with up to 42 lightning-fast lanes, two magic carpets and Galactic Snowtubing after dark.
Big Boulder Ski Area
– At Big Boulder Ski Area, you’ll find supreme skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing. With 16 slopes, Big Boulder devotes nearly 70% of its overall terrain to park features. The mountains of Jack Frost and Big Boulder complement one another and offer guests two discount experiences on the same lift ticket.
Shawnee Mountain Ski Area
– Shawnee Mountain features 125 skiable acres, 23 trails, the Tomahawk Express high-speed quad lift, two terrain parks and a snow tubing park with 100% snowmaking and daily grooming. A family and beginner-friendly ski resort, Shawnee Mountain offers excellent children’s programs, complete beginners’ packages and some great terrain for the advanced skier and rider.
Ski Big Bear at Masthope Mountain
– Specializing in private beginner lessons, Ski Big Bear offers something for all abilities. The mountain is open for skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing with 100% snowmaking. Eighteen trails, seven lifts and a terrain park provide great family winter recreation.
Indoor Waterpark Getaways
The days of planning your family vacation around Mother Nature are over. Dubbed the Indoor Waterpark Capitol of the Northeast, the Pocono Mountains has you covered rain or shine! It’s always beach season at the region’s waterpark resorts, where you can swim, splash, play and stay any time of year.
Jack Frost Mountain
– With up to 20 pristine trails, Jack Frost Mountain provides a variety of inviting terrain. Runs range from beginner to black diamond. Two terrain parks are featured.
Camelback Lodge & Aquatopia Indoor Waterpark
– With 453 spacious suites and 24 unique layouts to choose from, you’ll find the perfect option for your family of four or 14. Connected to Camelback Lodge is Aquatopia Indoor Waterpark, where you can experience gravity-defying, heart-pounding, smile-inducing water rides, swimming pools, Flow Rider surfing and more! Aquatopia is a 125,000-square-foot water-topia for year-round excitement. Camelback Lodge also features a mega-arcade, indoor laser tag, virtual reality experience, a three-story ropes course and rock climbing for hours of fun. Don’t forget about the great restaurants, bars, and spas—because every adventure needs an oasis!
Great Wolf Lodge
– Starting with zero-depth entry pools and play areas, and going up more than four stories to the start of Alberta Falls, you’ll find fifty-foot vertical drops, 180-degree spin outs, water roller coasters, family raft rides, pools, rivers, hot springs and cozy cabanas to hang out in. Add fantastic oversize suites, sensational dining options, magical games and nightly story times, and you have everything you need under one roof.
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
– With 220,000 square feet of wet and wild indoor fun, with a bonus outdoor park featuring a retractable roof, you’ll never have a dull moment with the rides, slides and pools in this park! At Kalahari Resorts and Conventions, you’ll be transported to an authentically African, world away, beyond expectations experience. Play away the days with family and friends, and rest in well-appointed guestrooms and suites. Enjoy an extreme Family Entertainment Center and arcade, full-service spa, fitness center, restaurants, retail shops and much more.
Split Rock Resort’s H2Oooohh! Indoor Waterpark
– Split Rock Resort’s H2Oooohh! Indoor Waterpark is the home of Pennsylvania’s first flow rider and includes the Island Oasis snack bar, wave pool, kid pool, Jungle play area with dumping bucket and three four-story tube slides! Your family will be entertained all vacation long with the resort’s ample amenities including the waterpark, arcade, cosmic bowling, movie theater and more.
Plan your itinerary and view upcoming holiday events on PoconoMountains.com. There, you can also find the most up-to-date information on ski resort opening dates and snow conditions.