By Clark Savage, Jr.
Hate mail – 2,200 flaming pieces of it — poured into New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo’s office when that $3 billion deal to open a massive Amazon HQ in Queens fell through, even though most agreed the touch of death had been applied by his Democratic colleagues, Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
And the New York Post got a hold of at least some of them via a Freedom of Information request. The newspaper recently exposed some of those letters, and the anger exploding from them is more than obvious. Here are some examples:
* “You got outsmarted by a bartender … thanks.”
* “What a dysfunctional scenario to unfold under your watch. AOC has played you swiftly. WOW!”
* One voter suggested Cuomo’s Democratic Party “has lost its mind.”
* “Seriously? We lost AMAZON’S headquarters?!! Are you all so afraid of AOC and screaming, stupid protestors who don’t understand Economics 101??? Is she so intimidating that you and [Mayor Bill] De Blasio couldn’t get this done? SHAME ON YOU!!!!”
* Another New Yorker told Cuomo “that little snot nose trashed your big deal,” adding, “I guess we know who wears the pants in New York now. Especially in the Democratic Party.”
* “Bye, Bye. Me and My entire extended family are now on our way out of your state to live in Tennessee. It has nothing to do with the weather!!!!!!!!! It’s all to do with you. Loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
* “Your failure to secure Amazon as a new corporation to do business in the state is laughable and a testament to political incompetence.”
* “You and all the other NYS political self-serving hacks are an embarrassment. Looking forward to putting you and NY in my rear view mirror!”
(The full story can be found at https://nypost.com/2019/11/25/nyers-say-cuomo-got-played-by-aoc-in-failed-amazon-deal/)
For her part, when asked about extinguishing a potential 25,000 jobs for New Yorker residents, Ocasio-Cortez alibied that the city was “subsiding those jobs” anyway. “So if we were willing to give away $3 billion for this deal we could invest those $3 billion in our district ourselves if we wanted to. We could hire out more teachers, fix our subways. Additionally, there was no guarantee those jobs were for the New Yorkers that were here. I think we can come absolutely together to create an economic plan that actually invests in New Yorkers and higher wages.”
The governor’s shame is being shared across national borders, as well. In Britain, the DailyMail reported that Cuomo “has been slammed for being ‘outsmarted by bartender’ Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez after his push for an Amazon HQ in Queens collapsed. The 61-year-old faced a torrent of emails ridiculing him over losing the $3billion deal following fierce opposition from the congresswoman and former bartender.”