Iran blamed Israel, the U.S. and Saudi Arabia for the attack and says there will be consequences.
By: WIN Staff
Iranian Member of Parliament Abolfazl Hassanbeigi, told Iran’s Mehr news agency that Israel, the U.S. and Saudi Arabia were to blame for last week’s missile attack on the Iranian oil tanker Sabiti off the coast of Saudi Arabia in the Red Sea.
Hassanbeigi, who is a member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, said “a video captured by cameras installed on the tanker show the attack was carried out by the U.S., the Zionist regime and Saudi Arabia.”
Hassanbeigi takes a step further comments made Tuesday by Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, who said that the attack on the Iranian oil tanker on October 11 was the work of one or possibly more states, but that Iran was not ready to assign blame.
“According to information received, the attack on the Iranian tanker has been carried out by one or more governments. Of course, investigations are underway, but as long as we have not reached definitive conclusions, we will not accuse any government,” Zarif said, according to Iran’s PressTV.
The tanker Sabiti, owned by the National Iranian Oil Company, was struck 60 miles off the coast of Jeddah by two missiles.
“The attack on the Iranian tanker was a sophisticated, state-sponsored action,” Zarif said.
In a related development, Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani warned on Monday that Tehran will continue to scale back its commitments to the 2015 nuclear accord until the European Union fulfills promises that it made under the terms of the deal.
Rouhani, speaking on state television, said Iran would start working on more advanced uranium enrichment centrifuges, reports Asharq Al-Awsat, a pan-Arab daily newspaper. Such work would advance the Iranians toward the capability to construct a nuclear bomb.
He spoke of IR-9 centrifuges, reports the Associated Press. “It’s unclear what those centrifuges can do, though Iran has a host of advanced centrifuges that enrich uranium more rapidly than those allowed under the accord,” said the news agency.
The president called on European parties to the pact to salvage the deal by shielding Iran’s economy from U.S. penalties.
Iran has gradually withdrawn from its commitments to the pact in the aftermath of the U.S. pullout in May 2018, under President Donald Trump, and the imposition of American sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
The nuclear accord was reached in July 2015 between Iran and six world powers, including the U.S. Obama administration, as well as Russia, China, Britain, France, and Germany.
(World Israel News)
Read more at: worldisraelnews.com