On Tuesday, Christians United for Israel (CUFI), the nation’s largest pro-Israel organization, announced that it had surpassed the six million member mark. The announcement comes less than six months after the organization reached 5 million members, and one year after CUFI founder and Chairman Pastor John Hagee delivered the benediction at the ceremony formally opening the U.S. Embassy to Israel in Jerusalem.
“When we set out to create a national grassroots Christian Zionist organization in 2006 we could not have fathomed it would grow to become six million plus nor could we have conceived of how vital CUFI would be at this moment in history. Anti-Semitism has slipped away from the fringes of our nation and is now increasingly rearing its ugly head in the mainstream of American discourse. The members of CUFI shine six million lights on this dark abomination that hides in plain sight. Christians United for Israel will stand with the Jewish people and the state of Israel whatever comes our way,” Hagee said.
“I never thought I would see a day when rank anti-Semitism was commonplace on the American college campus and Congressional leaders equivocated in their condemnation of those who traffic in anti-Jewish tropes. Yet that day is upon us. I thank God that Pastor Hagee had the courage and foresight to create CUFI. For the first time in history, the Jewish community – in Israel, here at home, and elsewhere in the world – is not alone,” noted CUFI co-executive director Shari Dollinger.
In recent years, as the organization has grown faster and larger than ever before, CUFI has seen significant successes advancing its policy agenda, including:
- March 2018: After a 15 month lobbying campaign, including more than one million emails sent to elected officials by CUFI members, the Taylor Force Act becomes law.
- May 2018: The US formally opens its Embassy in Jerusalem after more than 135,000 CUFI members emailed the White House asking the President to keep his pledge.
- June 2018: With CUFI’s support, Kenneth Marcus is confirmed as the Department of Education’s Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights.
- August 2018: Shortly after CUFI engaged an in an effort to work with elected officials in Washington to introduce legislation aimed at ending UNRWA’s malevolent influence in the Middle East, President Donald Trump cuts off all U.S. funding to the U.N. agency.
- October 2018: After a month’s long, behind the scenes lobbying effort, including an op-ed announcing the group’s intention to address the problems with the 1992 Anti-Terrorism Act, the Anti-Terrorism Clarification Act of 2018 passes both houses of Congress and is signed into law by the President.
- December 2018: The Stop Using Human Shields Act, renamed the Sanctioning of the Use of Civilians as Defenseless Shields Act, which was introduced during the 2018 CUFI Washington Summit, is signed into law.
- March 2019: One week after CUFI released a statement backing associated legislation and after a month long lobbying campaign, the U.S. recognizes Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights.
As a result of CUFI’s efforts, leaders in Washington and Jerusalem have acknowledged the organization’s central role in strengthening the U.S.-Israel relationship:
- “In Jerusalem, our President said that the bond between America and Israel in his words “is woven together in the hearts of our people” — and Christians United for Israel proves this statement true every single day all across this country.”
– Vice President Mike Pence
- “I consider CUFI a vital part of Israel’s national security.”
– Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
- “Standing up against this global pressure campaign on Israel and the Jewish people goes to the heart of our friendship and the heart of America. And the tip of the spear is Christians United for Israel.”
– Ambassador Nikki Haley
- “For decades, America has been the backbone of Israel’s support in the world. Well, the backbone of that backbone is the support of millions of devout Christians across this great country. More than any other Christian organization, CUFI works year after year to make that backbone stronger and straighter than ever.”
– Ambassador Ron Dermer
In less than two months, CUFI will be holding its 14th annual Washington Summit. Confirmed speakers include, US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman, Senators John Cornyn, Roy Blunt, Ted Cruz, and Marco Rubio, Representative Dan Crenshaw, and thirteen-time Major League Baseball All-Star Pastor Mariano Rivera.
Christians United for Israel is the largest pro-Israel organization in the United States and one of the leading Christian grassroots movements in the world. CUFI spans all fifty states and reaches millions with its message. Each year CUFI holds hundreds of pro-Israel events in cities around the country. And each July, thousands of pro-Israel Christians gather in Washington, D.C. to participate in the CUFI Washington Summit and make their voices heard in support of Israel and the Jewish People.