Jeffrey Epstein has settled a lawsuit involving a woman who said she had been recruited by the wealthy sex offender as a sex slave over 10 years ago.
Sarah Ransome had filed the lawsuit against Epstein and alleged madam Ghislaine Maxwell in 2017, claiming she had been forced to perform sex acts in 2006 and 2007. But she withdrew the suit last week following a financial settlement whose size was not reported.
“We are pleased with the settlement. It provides as much compensation as money can provide for the horrific damage done by sex trafficking,” said her attorney, David Boies, in a statement.
In its coverage of the case, The Daily Beast recalled an allegation that Epstein directed Ransome to have sex with famed attorney and former Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz. “Sarah Ransome’s allegations against Dershowitz—who previously represented Epstein—were revealed this week, but she previously sued Epstein and his alleged madam, Ghislaine Maxwell, saying they trafficked her for sex from 2006 to 2007. Ransome withdrew the lawsuit Thursday after settlement was reached, the terms of which haven’t been disclosed… Epstein was convicted of soliciting an underage girl for prostitution—he’s also been accused of sexually abusing dozens of mostly underage girls at his Palm Beach mansion. Dershowitz issued a strong denial this week of Ransome’s allegations, saying: “I’ve never met this woman, I don’t know her, I never heard of her. She just made it up completely.”
Epstein, of Palm Beach, Fla., has been alleged to having assembled what the Miami Herald called “a large, cult-like network of underage girls — with the help of young female recruiters — to coerce into having sex acts behind the walls of his opulent waterfront mansion.”
In November, The Herald reported on what it called the “extraordinary” plea deal under which Epstein pleaded guilty to two prostitution charges and served just 13 months in the county jail, and which ended the FBI probe into whether there were more victims and other powerful people who took part, according to JTA.
According to the Miami Herald, “the developments follow a series of stories published by the Miami Herald in late November that detailed how state and federal prosecutors worked with Epstein’s lawyers to conceal the extent of Epstein’s crimes, and secretly negotiated an unusual plea agreement that allowed him to escape federal sex trafficking charges that could have sent him to prison for life. The agreement, by design, was kept from his victims so that they could not appear at his sentencing.”