Connect with us

International latest news

Prince Harry & Meghan Markle to Relinquish Royal Titles & Return Money for Frogmore Cottage

Published

on

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, also known as the Duke & Duchess of Sussex have agreed to no longer use their "HRH" titles as part of a new deal allowing them to "step back" as senior members of the Royal Family, Buckingham Palace announced Saturday. Photo Credit: Getty Images

British royal family hammers out new deal for ‘Megxit,’ allowing young couple to forge a new path off the taxpayer’s pound.

Edited by: TJVNews.com 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, also known as the Duke & Duchess of Sussex have agreed to no longer use their “HRH” titles as part of a new deal allowing them to “step back” as senior members of the Royal Family, Buckingham Palace announced Saturday.

INN reported that under the deal the Sussexes will not use titles as they pursue business and charitable ventures in the private sector and will no longer be able to formally represent the Queen in any capacity.

It is not yet clear if they will be allowed to keep their SussexRoyal brand or attend formal family events, the UK Telegraph noted..

In a statement, Queen Elizabeth said: “Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family.”

“Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family.

“I recognize the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.

“I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family.

“It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life.”

Buckingham Palace said in a statement: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives.”

“As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments. They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties.

“With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.

“The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family.

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home.

“Buckingham Palace does not comment on the details of security arrangements. There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly-funded security.

“This new model will take effect in the Spring of 2020.”

On Monday, Queen Elizabeth II agreed to grant Prince Harry and Meghan their wish for a more independent life, allowing them to move part-time to Canada while remaining firmly in the House of Windsor, according to an INN report. 

The Queen said in a statement quoted by The Associated Press that the summit of senior royals on Monday was “constructive,” and that it had been “agreed that there will be a period of transition” in which the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will spend time in Canada and the UK.

The summit at the queen’s Sandringham estate in eastern England marked the first face-to-face talks with Harry since he and Meghan unveiled the controversial plan to step back from their royal roles.

“My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family,” the Queen said. “Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.”

Currently, Meghan is in Canada with 8-month old son Archie and is residing in a $14 million mansion on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. The house is owned by a Canadian billionaire.

Prior to her marriage to Prince Harry, Markle, an actress, had lived in Canada while filming the TV series “Suits.” 

On Thursday, Prince Harry, the second son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana, was present at Buckingham Palace to host a event related to the British rugby team.

Never entirely comfortable in his role as a royal, Harry expressed his concern for his wife who has been under intense press scrutiny by the British tabloids in a televised interview while engaged in a royal tour of Africa.

When asked how she felt by the press coverage that she has received since marrying Harry in May of 2018, Markle, said, “I never it would not be easy, but I thought it would be fair.” She told interviewer that she was struggling with her role due to the constant negative coverage. (INN)

 

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement --

Trending

Daily Newsletter

Get all the breaking news delivered right to your inbox as it happens

Sign Up Now!

ONE MONTH FREE

At Your Doorstep

No more hassles running to the newsstand, as each week for a month, you can now sit back, relax and enjoy the Jewish Voice in the comfort of your own home!