Connect with us

National News

Bombshell Report: Bolton Asked Pentagon for Plans to Strike Iran

Published

on

The White House asked the Pentagon to prepare plans for a US military strike against Iran. The request was made during a series of meetings led by President Trump’s national security council, headed by National Security Adviser John Bolton, after three mortars fired by Iran-affiliated militants in Iraq landed in the ultra-secure green zone in Baghdad on September 6th. Photo Credit: Shutterstock

In a bombshell report that appeared in Sunday’s edition of the Wall Street Journal, it appears that the growing menace to world peace that has come to define the Iranian regime has prompted the United States to prepare for a possible military confrontation.

The White House asked the Pentagon to prepare plans for a US military strike against Iran after a September mortar attack claimed by a Tehran-aligned militia targeting Baghdad’s diplomatic quarter, which houses the US embassy, according to the WSJ report.

The request was made during a series of meetings led by President Trump’s national security council, headed by National Security Adviser John Bolton, after three mortars fired by Iran-affiliated militants in Iraq landed in the ultra-secure green zone in Baghdad on September 6, according to an i24News report.

Two days later, unknown militants fired three rockets in the southern city of Barsa which landed close to the American consulate in the city.

Neither attack resulted in any injuries, but the attacks reportedly served as an impetus for Bolton to initiate discussions on formulating a formidable US response.

According to the WSJ report, which cited unnamed current and former US officials, the Pentagon complied with the request to draw up strike options, but it was not clear whether the proposals were ultimately handed to the White House or whether President Trump had knowledge of the request.

According to the paper, Mira Ricardel, the former deputy national security advisor, described the attacks in Iraq as “an act of war,” and said that the US needed to respond accordingly.

I24 News reported that officials told the WSJ that the “cavalier” attitude with which the request for strike options was made had sparked concern at both the Pentagon and State Department.

“People were shocked. It was mind-boggling how cavalier they were about hitting Iran,” one official was quoted as saying.

A spokesperson for the National Security Council, Garrett Marquis, told the WSJ that the body “coordinates policy and provides the president with options to anticipate and respond to a variety of threats”.

“We continue to review the status of our personnel following attempted attacks on our embassy in Baghdad and our Basra consulate, and we will consider a full range of options to preserve their safety and our interests,” he added.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declined to comment on the report when asked about it at a news conference in Doha on Sunday. According to a report in the Independent of the UK, Iran was angered by Pompeo’s announcement last week that Poland will host an international conference on Iran in February. Regarding the conference, Pompeo said, “There’ll be a broad coalition of countries present,” he said. “And we’ll work on many issues, including how it is we can get the Islamic Republic of Iran to behave more like a normal nation.” Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declined to comment on the report when asked about it at a news conference in Doha on Sunday.

According to a report in the Independent of the UK, Iran was angered by Pompeo’s announcement last week that Poland will host an international conference on Iran in February. Regarding the conference, Pompeo said, “There’ll be a broad coalition of countries present,” he said. “And we’ll work on many issues, including how it is we can get the Islamic Republic of Iran to behave more like a normal nation.”

On Sunday, Iranian authorities summoned Warsaw’s top diplomat in the country and called off a Polish film festival. The moves followed a tweet by Iran’s foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, who denounced the upcoming summit as America’s anti-Iran “circus”.

In the wake of the September mortar attacks, the White House issued a statement warning that it would hold Iran accountable for any attacks that results in damage to US facilities or injures American personnel, as was reported by i24News.

“Over the past few days, we have seen life-threatening attacks in Iraq, including on the United States consulate in Basra and against the American embassy compound in Baghdad,” the White House said in a statement.

“Iran did not act to stop these attacks by its proxies in Iraq, which it has supported with funding, training, and weapons.”

“America will respond swiftly and decisively in defense of American lives,” the White House warned.

In a speech at the end of September, National Security Advisor John Bolton warned that if Tehran harmed the US or its allies, there would be “hell to pay”. He added that “If you cross us, our allies, or our partners; if you harm our citizens; if you continue to lie, cheat, and deceive, yes, there will indeed be hell to pay.” Bolton, who joined the Trump administration as National Security Adviser in March 2018, has long been a vociferous opponent of Iran and has repeatedly advocated for a preemptive strike on its nuclear facilities and the toppling of the clerical regime. Photo Credit: Shutterstock

In a speech at the end of September, Bolton warned that if Tehran harmed the US or its allies, there would be “hell to pay”.

“If you cross us, our allies, or our partners; if you harm our citizens; if you continue to lie, cheat, and deceive, yes, there will indeed be hell to pay,” he said.

Since the start of the Trump presidency in early 2017, Washington has set Iran in its sights, accusing it of seeking to destabilize the Middle East.

Bolton, who joined the Trump administration as National Security Adviser in March 2018, has long been a vociferous opponent of Iran and has repeatedly advocated for a preemptive strike on its nuclear facilities and the toppling of the clerical regime.

An astute military and global affairs analyst, Bolton has for a number of years publicly promulgated the existential danger that Iran represents. He had even suggested that Israel launch a preventative strike against the nuclear armed rogue regime.

In March if 2015, Bolton penned an op-ed for the New York Times entitled, “To Stop Iran’s Bomb, Bomb Iran.” Suffice it to say that the controversial op-ed was disseminated throughout the world as critics and proponents weighed in on their views.

President Trump pulled the US out of an international nuclear deal with Iran in May 2018. The deal had been signed by Barack Obama, as well as the leaders of the UK, China, Russia, France, Germany and the European Union in 2015. Trump also ordered a tough sanctions campaign in the autumn.

Since the start of the Trump presidency in early 2017, Washington has set Iran in its sights, accusing it of seeking to destabilize the Middle East.

Bolton, who joined the Trump administration as National Security Adviser in March 2018, has long been a vociferous opponent of Iran and has repeatedly advocated for a preemptive strike on its nuclear facilities and the toppling of the clerical regime.

An astute military and global affairs analyst, Bolton has for a number of years publicly promulgated the existential danger that Iran represents. He had even suggested that Israel launch a preventative strike against the nuclear armed rogue regime.

In March of 2015, Bolton penned an op-ed for the New York Times entitled, “To Stop Iran’s Bomb, Bomb Iran.” Suffice it to say that the controversial op-ed was disseminated throughout the world as critics and proponents weighed in on their views.

In regards to strategizing on a military plan to strike at Iranian targets in the Middle East, on Tuesday, January 15th it has been reported by RT News that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said that the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) will continue to attack Iranian targets in Syria.

Earlier, an Israeli commander said it conducted attacks in the country on nearly a daily basis and supplied arms to Syrian rebels.

“I’m telling you, get out of there fast. We won’t stop attacking,” Netanyahu said on Tuesday morning during a ceremony in which he appointed Aviv Kochavi as the new chief of staff of the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF). Netanyahu also rejected statements by an Iranian official, who said Iran only sent military advisers to Syria and not regular fighting troops.

“They (Iran) always lie. They are lying with that and they are lying when they say their attempt to launch a satellite into space failed,” Netanyahu said. He said that the allegedly “innocent satellite” was actually “the first stage of an intercontinental missile” Iran is developing in violation of international agreements, according to an Associated Press report.

The Israeli leader was referring to the remarks made on Monday by Iranian General Hassan Firoozabadi, who said its “military advisers” will stay in Syria as long as required to defeat terrorists, and an announcement on Tuesday by Iranian Communications Minister Mohammad-Javad Azari Jahromi, who said Tehran’s attempt to place a satellite into orbit had failed.

Jahromi said the rocket had successfully passed its first and second stages before developing problems in the third. He did not elaborate on what caused the rocket failure but promised that Iranian scientists would continue their work, according to the Associated Press report.

Iran has said it plans to send two satellites, Payam and Doosti, into the orbit. Payam means “message” in Farsi, while Doosti means “friendship.”

It’s unclear how the failure of the Payam will affect the launch timing for the Doosti. Jahromi wrote on Twitter that “Doosti is waiting for orbit,” without elaborating.

AP reported that Iranian state television aired footage of its reporter narrating the launch of the Simorgh rocket, shouting over its roar that it sent “a message of the pride, self-confidence and willpower of Iranian youth to the world!” The TV footage shows the rocket becoming just a pinpoint of light in the darkened sky and not the moment of its failure, according to the AP report. Photo Credit: Press TV

AP reported that Iranian state television aired footage of its reporter narrating the launch of the Simorgh rocket, shouting over its roar that it sent “a message of the pride, self-confidence and willpower of Iranian youth to the world!”

The TV footage shows the rocket becoming just a pinpoint of light in the darkened sky and not the moment of its failure, according to the AP report. Jahromi’s comments that the problem developed in the launch’s third stage suggest something went wrong after the rocket pushed the satellite out of the Earth’s atmosphere.

The Simorgh, meaning “phoenix” in Farsi, has been used in previous satellite launches. It is larger than an earlier model known as the Safir, or “ambassador,” that Iran previously used to launch satellites.

Iran usually displays space achievements in February during the anniversary of its 1979 Islamic Revolution. This year will mark the 40th anniversary of the revolution amid Iran facing increasing pressure from the U.S. under the Trump administration.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement --

Trending

Daily Newsletter

Get all the breaking news delivered right to your inbox as it happens

Sign Up Now!

ONE MONTH FREE

At Your Doorstep

No more hassles running to the newsstand, as each week for a month, you can now sit back, relax and enjoy the Jewish Voice in the comfort of your own home!