The Board of Trustees of The City University of New York recently named the members of its Chancellor Search Committee and announced the hiring of a highly regarded national executive recruiting firm to help the committee identify top-flight candidates to succeed Chancellor James B. Milliken, who in November announced he would be stepping down at the end of the academic year.
“The Board is looking for an accomplished leader committed to our students’ academic and career success and affording all low- and middle-income New Yorkers access to a high-quality college education tuition-free,” said Board of Trustees Chairperson William C. Thompson Jr. “The new Chancellor will embrace the University’s proud history of helping underrepresented and immigrant students succeed, as well as its unparalleled diversity today, and lead CUNY into the future by setting the standard for quality and access in public higher education in the United States.”
In accordance with CUNY Board of Trustees guidelines, the Chancellor Search Committee is composed of at least five trustees, with the Board’s chairperson serving as the search committee’s chair and the Board’s vice chair serving as the search committee’s vice chair. In addition, the guidelines stipulate the search committee is to include two college presidents, two faculty members, two student leaders and an alumnus.
These are the members of the Chancellor Search Committee and their affiliations:
- William C. Thompson Jr., Chairperson, CUNY Board of Trustees
- Barry F. Schwartz, Vice Chairperson, CUNY Board of Trustees
- Henry T. Berger, Trustee, CUNY Board of Trustees
- Fernando Ferrer, Trustee, CUNY Board of Trustees
- Una S. T-Clarke, Trustee, CUNY Board of Trustees
- Kevin D. Kim, Trustee, CUNY Board of Trustees
- Jill O’Donnell-Tormey, Trustee, CUNY Board of Trustees
- Karol V. Mason, President, John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- Dr. David Gómez, President, Hostos Community College
- John Aderounmu, Chairperson, University Student Senate
- Huiling Cai, Student, LaGuardia Community College
- Katherine M. Conway, Chair, University Faculty Senate
- Ruth E. Stark, Distinguished Professor, City College
- John Banks, President, Real Estate Board of New York
The search will be assisted by Isaacson, Miller, a highly regarded national executive search firm devoted to recruiting exceptional leaders.
Edited by: JV Staff