10 Reasons We Should All Be Concerned About Climate Change
Since you have such extensive coverage of so many important issues, I am surprised at your lack of coverage of climate change, an issue that threatens Jews, Israel, and, indeed, all life on the planet. Here are ten reasons you and your readers should be concerned about climate change:
1. Science academies worldwide and 97% of climate scientists believe that climate change is real, is largely caused by human activities and poses great threats to humanity.
2. Every decade since the 1970s has been warmer than the previous decade and all of the 15 warmest years since temperature records were kept in 1880 have been since 1998.
3. Polar icecaps and glaciers worldwide have been melting rapidly, faster than scientists projected.
4. There has been an increase in the number and severity of droughts, wildfires, storms, and floods. California has been subjected to so many severe climate events recently that its governor, Jerry Brown, stated that, “Humanity is on a collision course with nature.”
5. The Israeli Union for Environmental Defense (IUED; Adam, Teva, v’Din) projects that Israel will experience a temperature increase of 2 to 11 degrees Fahrenheit, a 20 to 30 percent decrease in average rainfall, severe storms when rain does occur, increased desertification, and an inundation of the coastal plain where most Israelis live by a rising Mediterranean Sea.
6. Many climates experts believe that we are close to a tipping point when climate change will spiral out of control, with disastrous consequences, unless major positive changes soon occur.
7. While climate scientists believe that 350 parts per million (ppm) of atmospheric CO2 is a threshold value for climate stability, the world reached 400 ppm in 2014, and the amount is increasing by 2 – 3 ppm per year.
8. While climate scientists hope that temperature increases can be limited to two degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit), to avoid disastrous climate change, the world is now on track for an average increase of 4 – 5 degrees Celsius.
9. The Pentagon and other military groups believe that climate change will increase the potential for instability, terrorism, and war by reducing access to food and clean water and by causing tens of millions of desperate refuges fleeing from droughts, wildfire, floods, storms, and other effects of climate change.
10. The conservative group ConservAmerica (www.ConservAmerica.org), formerly known as ‘Republicans for Environmental Protection,’ is very concerned about climate change threats.
I urge you to use your excellent writers and editors to put a spotlight on this issue to help shift our imperiled planet onto a sustainable path.
Very truly yours,
Richard H. Schwartz, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus, College of Staten Island
A Pox On Any Who Do Not Put the Welfare of the USA Above All Else
Obama, the twice-elected Addict-in-Chief is precisely like an inveterate gambler who runs to the track or blackjack table every day – and consistently loses until he has gambled away his house, his car, his family and all the money he was able to borrow from his relatives and friends. And naturally, he blames it on bad luck.
In Obama’s case, he is a diabolical dandelion that has traded away our national security, our economy, our honor and our national soul as a result of his addiction to the deviousness of his personal hatred of America and all that it stands for. And, like all sick, paranoid Narcissists, he is never at fault for his actions; it is always someone else that is to blame. He views trading away our Liberty and Traitorousness, as moral equivalents. Sadly, there is no cure for such acute lunacy; the patient must permitted to expire of his own unnatural causes.
Arguments regarding his core religious beliefs are just so much prattle & palaver. He is certifiable Devout Coward. He is a lead-from-behind blowhard, a weak horse whose weapon of choice, is surrender. Who else would release the worst-of-the-worst of our enemies from our prisons and trade them for traitors to our nation – then crow about his negotiating prowess? Do we see a pattern here, or have we simply become so accustomed to Obama’s Socialism and its failed policies that we can no longer discern between traders and traitors?
We wish that the ‘establishment leadership’ of the Republican Party, that has now become heir to great opportunity to do the right thing by the citizens of this great nation beginning in January, would understand that they were not given this opportunity because they are so old-school & stiff-necked. They were elected only because a majority of our legal citizens whose heads are screwed-on straight, have had a bellyful of Obama’s Socialism-inspired, radical-Muslim-driven tyrannical rule plus, his particular brand of obnoxious horse manure.
So, it is incumbent upon House Speaker Boehner and Senate majority leader O’Connell to re-arrange the blocks in their thought process, to consider first, last & always – what is good for America – and not their own, individual futures. That means they will have to work in tandem with all the younger (R)s to do the right thing for America. Sorry John & Mitch – but, that’s the way it has to be. No more ‘Traders’. No more ‘Traitors’. Do you got it now. Boys?
de Blasio is ‘Playing with Fire’ When it Comes to the NYPD
Concerning the heightened tensions in New York City due to the public protests over the fact that the cop who killed Eric Garner was not indicted, all I can say is that I fear and I feel that our city is on shaky ground, almost teetering on the brink of anarchy.
As Abraham Lincoln said, “A house divided cannot stand.” When citizens rise up to viciously attack those who are paid to serve them by protecting them and enforcing the law, then the rule of law and government seem more than inconsequential. That is when real danger rears its ugly head; that is when mob rule trumps law, morality and ethics and that is at the point that we find ourselves literally fighting for our survival.
I definitely think your editorial of 12/19 really hit the nail on the head in terms of painting a very accurate picture of Mayor deBlasio’s anti-cop stance and how his rhetoric can inspire others to join the anti-police bandwagon.
Mr. De Blasio is playing with dynamite, but something tells me he is too short sighted to see it. If the NYPD should defy rules and go out on a wildcat strike, then deBlasio will have a city on the verge of sheer bedlam in his lap. If he doesn’t sit down with the PBA chief and other union leaders and work out this resentment he has towards them, then there is no doubt we could all pay a very dear price.